Thursday, November 13, 2008

Freezing Nights, Falling Leaves, Fig Trees

Freezing Nights, Falling Leaves, Fig Trees

We finally had our first freeze while I was in Orlando. I think it was the morning of November 10. It did not hurt the eggplants or the peppers or the winter crops. It did kill the baby figs and knock the leaves off of the fig trees. It seems that the leaves are falling off of a lot of other trees too. I have been picking up a pickup truck load of bagged leaves from the side of the road every day since returning to Charlotte.

We are getting a lot of greens, eggplants and salad greens; but there has been no rain to speak of. I had to set up the irrigation system again. There is a light rain falling this morning. Tonight I hope to lay in bed and plant my perfect garden for next year. I have some really great new ideas. Tonight the garden will be planned. Tomorrow seeds will be ordered for the greenhouse.

The neighbor’s fence is so grown up with vines and junk that I cannot get to my grape vines to prune them. Clearing that fence will be this weekend’s project. Maybe I will have time to prune the grapevines and fig trees. The fig trees are even bigger this year than they were last year. There is a lot of pruning to do. The castor oil bean trees are still living. One of them has seeds this year. They are over 20’ in the air. I won’t be able to harvest the seeds until the tree dies and I cut it down.



David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: