Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Finally a Garden Weekend

Finally a Garden Weekend

Saturday morning I planted 4 flats of plants. Sunday morning some of them had already germinated. Sunflowers and Nasturtiums are unbelievably fast. I also laid off several rows in the garden and tested the ph. I am beginning to wonder if something is wrong with my ph meter. None of the spots I tested was less than 6.1

I have not added lime to the soil in 3 years. I add lots of leaves and compost. I was under the impression these things would make the soil more acid. I added sulfur to several rows last year. A spot from last years potato row, where I had brought the ph below 5 was the lowest ph. It was 6.1. I guess I will have to add more sulfur this year.

Next weekend I would like to plant potatoes, sugar peas, radish, carrots, onions, greens and salad greens. I am debating whether to till the soil or just plant. I tilled everything really deep at the end of the season last year. It has been heavily mulched since then. Maybe I will just pull back the mulch and plant the seeds. The potatoes will be the exception. I prefer to incorporate the leave into the potato bed. Also I need to add sulfur. The sugar peas of course will be inoculated. I may plant them without removing the mulch.


David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: