Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Kale Yeah!!

That is what my friend Burgess says when I offer him kale. He made a big hit with his family making kale soup on the day after thanksgiving. I have persuaded him to share his recipe, which is actually his grandmother’s recipe. This is a 2 day process.

The first day starts with boiling raw linguica and couric sausage (these are Portuguese sausages) . After the sausage is fully cooked pull it out and refrigerate the sausage. Skim the goo off of the top of the water. This will form the stock for the soup.

On day 2, cook carrots and potatoes in the cold stock from the sausage and water. Cabbage is optional. Sauté some onions and celery. When the onions and celery are ready add them and the fresh kale to the pot. Simmer until the kale is cooked. That is all there is to it. Burgess promised to bring me some leftover to try. I will give my report when I have tasted it.

Incidentally the fire ants are gone. I think the grits or the corn meal finished them off. Ray Moore also sent me a method of fire ant eradication using club soda. I hope I will not get to try that until next year.


David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/

No comments: