Tuesday, January 5, 2010

That's Cold

Every weekend morning that I am home, I work in the yard or the greenhouse. We were out of town through Saturday. Sunday I went out to do the routine. Normally the compost turning starts on Saturday. The top of the compost in the 4th bin was frozen. No big deal. It broke apart on the 2”X4” wire than screens it into the 5th (storage) bin. Even with gloves on my fingers got so cold I could not stand to pick up the compost from the top to take it back to the 1st (accumulation) bin.

Perhaps I could work in the greenhouse. The rain barrel inside the greenhouse had a skim of ice on it. The tomatoes planted in the raised bed, looked frostbitten. I turned the heater up a little; but I guess that is like closing the barn door after the horse gets out. The plants for next years garden have bottom heat from pads. I think I will lose some of them as well. Too cold to work in the greenhouse.

I went home early to water the plants; because the enriched water had ice on the top. It was still icy. Plants do not like ice water. It took 2 gallons of hot tap water to bring the temperature in a 5 gallon bucket up to something that would not shock the plants. This morning it was even colder (19 degrees). The winter garden plants did not seem to mind except for the Kale from last spring.


David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/

No comments: