Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Early Indications

Early Indications

I used three different planting mediums to start over 1000 plants. I used dirt in cups, Jiffy Pellets and rockwool. Everything did pretty well. The cups were the most work. The Jiffy Pellets and rockwool were about the same. The germination rate between the cups with dirt and the Jiffy Pellets were about the same. (around 80%). The rockwool is almost 100%. Some stuff that I have just planted in rockwool has not come up yet; so a complete analysis is still premature. One problem I am having with all of the mediums is legginess. I am hoping transplanting will fix that.

In the garden, I planted more beets, carrots, radishes onions and potatoes. The only thing growing right now is Arugula and Onions. I did make a new ph map of the garden. The row for potatoes had dropped to 5 after I applied the sulfur. It has bounced back to 6.5. I don’t know if that is caused by the rain or what. I have not put any other amendment on the soil.

On February 1, I started a new compost pile for new compost. The old compost is being isolated so that it will be ready for planting when it is needed. I turned all of the compost Saturday and 4 bins became 3 bins. Most of the leaves and eggshells can still be identified; but most of the other things have become indistinguishable grains. By the time I plant, there will only be one bin.



David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: