Friday, July 11, 2008

The Garden is on Autopilot

The Garden is on Autopilot

I hope. I have weeded & mulched and set up watering systems. All my wife has to do while I’m in Shanghai is pick the vegetables, maybe turn the watering system on and support new watermelons. Sorry, I haven’t written. I am not getting much garden lore here. Despite the climate, a lot of the food is preserved. I think that is because that is what the Shanghainese like, not because the fresh stuff is not available. When my wife and I were here in 2006, we got really sick; so I am not eating any thing with the peel on or anything that might have been washed and not cooked. I am passing up the very best. The few raw vegetables here look really delicious.

It has rained in Charlotte every evening since I left so yesterday was the first time my wife could get into the garden. She picked 9 tomatoes and patti-pan squash the size of dinner plates. The watermelons are soaking up the water and growing huge (for sugar-babies). She says the mosquitoes are doing well also. I have been spared the details; but I will bet the weeds are benefiting from the rain. More work for me. More material for the compost pile.

At least she doesn’t have to water. The irrigation really just keeps the plants alive. It doesn’t seem to make them grow and glow like rain does. Sorry for the long quiet spell. Monday is my day off. I will try to explore and report on the famous gardens (vegetable) of Shanghai.


David Segrest practices international real estate and writes an international real estate blog. Email is david@segrestrealty.com , Web page http://www.segrestrealty.com/ ,Blog http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/

No comments: