Thursday, July 3, 2008

Harlequin Bugs


Harlequin Bugs

Harlequin bugs are really pretty; but they sure do make a broccoli or Brussels sprout plant ugly. I found an infestation of them in my crucifer row. I did not know what they were. I did find them on the internet. The only remedy (not chemical) was to hand pick them or get praying mantises. It is too late for praying mantises. The plants are too tall and close together for hand picking. I might do more damage than the bugs.

I settled for a compromise remedy. I sprayed them with a pyrethrum spray made from geraniums. Just because it is made from geraniums doesn’t mean that is not a noxious chemical. It just lets me feel better about it. The rain was threatening Saturday evening so I waited until Sunday AM to spray. At about 11:00 AM the plants were still wet; but I sprayed anyway. I only saw 1 bug Sunday evening. Maybe the spray worked. I’ll let you know.




David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com/ , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.


No comments: