Monday, May 19, 2008

Bulgarian Tomatoes & Cucumbers

Bulgarian Tomatoes & Cucumbers

The part of Bulgaria where I am staying is a little bit cooler than Charlotte, NC. In Charlotte we traditionally pick our first tomato on July 4th. (last year mine was July 3rd). They serve locally grown tomatoes and cucumbers for every meal here. I have been trying to solve the mystery. They don’t taste like greenhouse tomatoes. I asked one of my students yesterday. His cousin has a garden and a greenhouse.

We have already mentioned that in the greenhouses here the plants are grown in the ground and covered with a plastic tunnel. My student said that the tomatoes taste the same. I asked, “What about in the winter?” My student said “We don’t have tomatoes in the winter.” I am surmising by this that they extend the growing season with the greenhouses. They don’t try to completely pervert it.

All of the students have left. I have a whole hotel to myself. There is a staff of about 30 people and I think there are three other guests. I am sitting on a patio by the black sea, listening to the waves and being pampered to the point of distraction. Life is good.




David Segrest practices international real estate and writes an international real estate blog. Email is david@segrestrealty.com , Web page http://www.segrestrealty.com ,Blog http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/

No comments: