Monday, May 12, 2008

The Linden Tree

The Linden Tree

This article comes from the beautiful Bulgarian city of Varna by the Black Sea. I am separated from my garden so I will write about the beautiful Linden tree. One of my students and I were sitting on the patio admiring the landscaping and the beautiful view of the Black Sea. I noticed a most beautiful tree. My student did not know the name of it in English; but he assured me that it was one of the most loved trees in all of Bulgaria.

There is a little thing that looks like a leaf on the tree, with several little “antennae”. He said that in the fall this turns yellow and makes a beautiful smell and a very healthful tea. The tree’s wood is also much prized by wood carvers because it is soft and easy to work. In addition to these qualities the tree is so beautiful and graceful that it is prized for landscaping purposes. I will have to see if this tree can be grown at home. The NC environment is very similar to Bulgaria.

The food here is unbelievably good. Good simple country fare well prepared and well grown. I commented that the tomatoes could not be local so early. I was told that a greenhouse here was not the same as the greenhouses in the USA. The plants are actually planted in the ground and covered with a plastic tunnel. The tomatoes are good; but they are not quite up to in season home grown tomatoes. Breakfast is calling, I’ll make a picture of the Linden Tree.


David Segrest practices international real estate and writes an international real estate blog. Email is david@segrestrealty.com , Web page http://www.segrestrealty.com ,Blog http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/

No comments: