Thursday, August 28, 2008

And the Rains Came

And the Rains Came

I’m not sure it is official; but I think the drought is over. There is flooding all over town. Does a flood end a drought? The garden has been inaccessible for two days. The greenhouse provides a “dirt fix”. The gym provides the exercise. As crazy as it may seem, I started tomatoes and cabbage. I could not find red cabbage seeds so I only planted the green things. I forgot to buy broccoli seeds or I would have planted that.

I love to have a complete salad from the garden. By the time the tomatoes are ripe the lettuce has bolted. By the time the fall greens come in the tomatoes are gone or going fast. In Bulgaria they had home grown tomatoes in May. They plant them in the ground inside the greenhouse. They taste like real tomatoes, not greenhouse tomatoes. That is why I am starting tomatoes now.

Monday was the day I had scheduled to till the fall garden. It was too wet to till. If I had tilled it Sunday, I could have planted Monday and all of this rain would be soaking the seeds. Of course it may be so hard as to wash them away. I’ve had that happen before. When they come up they are all in the wrong place. It makes a messy garden.




David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: