Monday, August 4, 2008

Pickle-Worms

Pickle-Worms

We are leaving the realm of science fiction; but we are sticking with the cucurbits. The last couple of blogs have referred to the little worms eating the cucurbits. Winter Swol did some internet research and found out they were called “pickle-worms”. They eat squash and other cucurbits as well. Soak the vegetable in water and they come out for air. Then you can murder them and put them in the compost. The part of the vegetable they haven’t munched on is still good to eat.

I can just hear the ooo’s. Would you rather share your plate with a pickle worm, or expose your garden, yourself and your family to carcinogenic chemicals? I realize many people will choose the latter. Everyone draws the line somewhere. I spray myself with Deit before working in the yard. I make a conscious decision that the diseases and discomfort caused by the mosquitoes is worse than the risks posed by the chemical. I even used a pyrethrum spray on the harlequin bugs. It didn’t work. I accelerated to Sevin Dust. That seems to work; but has to be reapplied after each rain. My broccoli plants look like lace and I don’t really want to eat the broccoli. I will probably pull them up. The bugs, the environment and me all lose. I wouldn’t really mind if they would just eat a little bit. They are so greedy.


David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: