Sunday, August 3, 2008

Invasion of the Monster Squash Plants

Invasion of the Monster Squash Plants

Keeping on with the science fiction theme….Most of my rows were laid out 3’ wide with 2’ paths between. I allowed 4’ for the squash rows. They have filled the pathways and grown into the other rows and grown out of the garden. It is almost impossible to pick them because there is no space between them. They just keep expanding their territory. They remind me of communism after WWII.

The cucumbers are doing the same thing. The only cucurbits that are staying in their allotted territory are the watermelons and spaghetti squash. The spaghetti squash has been a little bit of a disappointment so far. I only have one squash and it has little worm holes in it. I may not have anything there when I pick it. The spaghetti squash is one of my favorite garden things. It will be a shame if we don’t get any as beautiful as the vines are.

My single chayote plant has grown over the grape arbor and escaped into my neighbors trees. I don’t know if it will make chayote in our climate. It sure makes a lot of vine. It does not even have blooms yet; so I am not extremely hopeful. It was fun to grow; and the chayotes taste a little bland anyway. Last year by this time I had a lot of empty space for the winter garden. I only have one or two little spots this year because the cucurbits took over the space as the early plants came off.



David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: