Monday, December 29, 2008

Casting Seeds on Rock(wool)

Casting Seeds on Rock(wool)

Almost everything planted in the greenhouse has sprouted except the things planted in rockwool. Very, very few of them have come up. Another thing learned by experience. Waxed paper cups do not make good pots in a cloche. When used in uncovered flats, they seem to last long enough for the plant to be put in the garden or repotted. The ones I used for starting seeds just dissolved. I can’t even read the label on them. As evil as it is, I bought Styrofoam cups for the new seeds.

Yesterday I repotted and relabeled everything that had sprouted. This morning I planted to replace the things that had been planted in rockwool. I did not throw the rockwool away yet. There still may be hope. Today (Sunday) was a really nasty rainy mess. I am very thankful for the greenhouse so that I wasn’t trapped inside.

The brightest spot in my garden right now is the compost. There was a mountain of leaves picked up on the side of the road. Some of them had been mulched and they were wet and starting to rot. Those went into the compost pile. There were not quite enough leaves to mulch the whole fallow part of the garden. I guess I have to keep scrounging.







David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com/ , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: