Sunday, January 4, 2009

Fast Germination

written 12/30/08

Fast Germination

Saturday morning I planted some seeds to replace the ones in rockwool that had not sprouted. Yesterday (Monday) afternoon many of them had already come up. The ones in rockwool have still not poked their little green heads out of the rockwool. The ones that really surprised me are the sunflowers. I had thought they would take a long time.

I have learned (from experience) that it is best to take the cloche off of the flats after the plants sprout. The plants don’t seem to like the really high humidity of the heated flat and the cloche. I am going out of town for New Years and I am concerned about the greenhouse plants. New Years eve the temperature is supposed to drop to 25 degrees Fahrenheit. I will not be here to light the propane heater and a tank of propane will not last that long. I will leave an electric block heater on; but it may not keep the greenhouse warm enough if the temperature stays down. Will the cloches damage the plants?










David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: