Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New Seed Catalogs

New Seed Catalogs
Friday’s mail brought 2 new seed catalogs. Saturday’s brought 4 more, including my favorite: Burpees. I can’t believe I don’t even have my garden planned and laid out yet. It is time to order seeds. Ordering seeds for an unplanned garden is like going to the grocery store when you are hungry. Have you every had seeds with no place to plant them? The greenhouse already has too much of some things and not enough of others.

The herbs I planted in the greenhouse last year, except for basil and parsley, did not germinate well; so I really overdid it this year thinking I would not have enough. I have asked my friends and my wife to start saving the little trays from the rotisserie chickens. I will put about 5 small pots of herbs in each one and give them to people for kitchen herb gardens.

Yesterday the fig trees got a haircut. It is unbelievable how much wood they produce in one year. Everything above eye level comes off. The older fig tree also gave up the central trunk from about waist high; because I can’t get in to pick the stuff on it anyway and that will let more light into the tree. From the pile of wood on the street, I would say the trees lost 1/3 of their mass. They are still larger than they were last year.

David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com/ , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: