Monday, March 2, 2009

Rain Changes

Rain Changes

Today (Feb 28) was the day I intended to plant cabbage, broccoli and Brussels sprouts. I had a row in the garden ready except for raking of the excess leaves. Instead I am watching the rain. It is only supposed to go to 38 degrees tonight so they would have one night in the ground to adjust before the freezing weather came back. Tomorrow night through Wednesday night the weather report calls for freezing weather. I guess I will wait until Thursday to plant out. I have been leaving the whole flats outside during the day to “harden off” the plants. They seem to like the rain.

I worked in the greenhouse this morning repotting a lot of the plants that are getting leggy. The dill is especially leggy. At least the rain barrels are filling up. I was afraid I would have to use tap water for the plants.

The sugar peas and onions are finally coming up. The fall planted spinach, which had quit growing has started growing again. I could have picked some this morning; but the ground is so wet I was afraid I would pull it up. Likewise with the mustard and collards. They are big enough to pick; but sometimes they get pulled up when the ground is so wet.



David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com/ , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: