Monday, February 8, 2010

Broccoli for the Spring

Last years broccoli had very small heads. I have been doing some research on broccoli in the hopes of doing better this year. Starting with the assumption that I “know nothink” in the words of Sgt. Schultz, I looked for tips on the internet. The only thing I can think of that I maybe did wrong last year was in the process of starting my own plants. I could have let the plants get stunted or planted a wrong variety. This year the plants will come from Renfrow’s hardware.

The soil is where everything starts. The ph should be between 5.5 and 6.5. Test the soil early and amend it with sulfur, sphagnum or lime as needed to correct the soil ph. Broccoli needs cold weather so plant early. Mine will go in the ground on the weekend of Feb 13th. Broccoli is a heavy feeder and needs to grow fast. It will be planted in a new raised bed with a lot of compost and will receive weekly doses of compost tea.

Broccoli also needs regular water and deep watering. I know I watered last year; but maybe it wasn’t deep enough to support the roots. This year gallon jugs with holes in the bottom will be buried beside the plants to ensure the water comes to the roots from below. Broccoli plants need 2’ all around so there is room for the jugs.

David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/

No comments: