Thursday, July 21, 2011

Hornets

Despite a strong dislike of being stung, I normally welcome any pollinators to my environment. Sunday proved an exception. Rain has been promised almost every day for the last two weeks, but it has been rare and feeble. Sunday, it was necessary to water the garden and the blueberries. The blueberries are in the front yard. The water was turned on and off in the process.

Next the pansies beside the mailbox that are starting to get shabby and full of grass needed to be pulled. A claw was used to get almost everything out, but there were a few stubborn grass plants that had to be pulled by hand. Unnoticed by me, there were also fire ants. They got all over my hands. When the water was turned on to rinse them off and to get some water to wet the poison that would be put on the mound, something stung me in the back.

I also got stung on the arm as I ran like hell. The water was left on all day, secured by a good hose and a nozzle of course. The hornet’s nest was one of those big gray ones. The nest was in a bush beside the hose bib. They could easily have killed me. I easily killed them as the sun was going down.

David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://davidsegrest.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/

No comments: