Monday, July 6, 2009

The 4th of July is for Tomatoes

The 4th of July is for Tomatoes

Last year my 1st homegrown tomato came off the vine on the 3rd of July. This year the deer pruned my tomatoes so severely that there are no 4th of July tomatoes. There are two very tiny green tomatoes on 1 vine. Fortunately Michael Swol felt sorry for me and brought me an extremely ripe and very tiny cherry tomato from one of his plants. It was, of course, anticlimactic as my friend Stephanie has been blessing me with homegrown tomatoes for a week.

At least the cucumbers and squash are doing well. Even the new cucumbers that were planted early last week have come up. The Hydroponics store on Monroe Rd. in Charlotte has BT. This is supposed to murder pickle worms. Michael and I each bought a very tiny bottle for $16. I sprayed mine yesterday (the 4th of July). I hope it will give me independence from pickle worms and other caterpillars.

BT (Bacillus Thuringienses) is a disease that kills insects in the larval stage. Supposedly they take a bite or two, get sick and fall off the plant and die. I hope it ruins their whole day.

David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: