Friday, March 19, 2010

Bamboo for Trellises

An article in this month’s Organic Gardening magazine recommended using bamboo for trellises. Bamboo is so ubiquitous around here that that should make a great choice. I have been using whatever kind of old stick I can find. They are convenient and picturesque; but they are also ugly. I know where there is a bamboo forest near the university; but I would like to find something closer to home.

The article suggests driving some rebar into the ground and tying them to that. I think some short pieces of plastic pipe could be driven into the ground and the bamboo simply inserted in the pipe. I don’t know how much the pipe would cost. I think it comes in 21 foot sections. It could be cut to 2’ sections or maybe 18”. If someone knew a plumber, scraps could possibly be found for free. Perhaps the bamboo could be cut at an angle and just pushed into the ground. I have done that with sticks in wet weather.

Bamboo should make a very attractive trellis for espalier pruning tomatoes. I have not done that in years; but I am thinking about trying it with a few plants this year.

David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/

No comments: