Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Colder Still

Colder Still

Yesterday was so cold that I just worked in town instead of going home and working in the greenhouse. I did take a few minutes to go down to the “Be Well Gardening Center”. I bought a pad of rockwool that fits in a flat and has 98 holes for seeds. I am going to try this at the same time as the “Jiffy Cubes”. “Jiffy Cubes” cost $.16 each. The rockwool plugs are only about $.10 each.

Today is warmer; but the weather man is calling for rain. That should mean it will be dry. I forgot to bring my gym bag to town; so maybe I can go home early and work in the greenhouse. This is also the day that Blum’s says to plant root crops. I have a few potato eyes from potatoes I put in the beans yesterday. They will keep in the ground as well as anywhere else, if the squirrels or mice don’t find them.

I went to Renfrow’s hardware Saturday. I really love going in there. It is like stepping back in time. The had some pads that will heat 4 flats. I don’t know why I did not buy one while I was there. They also have clear plastic covers for flats. I will go by on my way home today. With heating pad and covered flats, the greenhouse may be just a little redundant. I’m not sure my wife would let me have all of that mess in the house though.

David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: