Monday, January 21, 2008

More Hard Freezes

More Hard Freezes

We got down to 24 degrees the night of the 17th. My first out-of-the-house action that morning was to check the greenhouse. It was nice and toasty. Since then we have had sub-freezing temperatures almost every night. Last night it went to 17 degrees. I did not go out this morning because I leave for work at 0 dark 30.

Saturday the weatherman called for snow starting at 2:00 in the AM. It did not happen. Saturday morning I put all of the seeds to be started into cups of warm water to start the germination process. My “Indoor Gardening” book (I will give the references and a review in a later blog) said not to leave them there over 24 hours. I took them out Sunday morning. By the way it did finally start snowing Saturday morning; but it never got cold enough to stick.

I put the seeds between labeled sheets of paper towels and layered them in a flat. I put the flat on a heating pad in the greenhouse and soaked the paper towels with warm water. I will check them every day and when they start to sprout they are planted in cups, peat pots or jiffy cubes. I bought 50 jiffy cubes to give them a try. I will let you know how they work.


David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com/ , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: