Sunday, January 6, 2008

Frozen Greenhouse

Frozen Greenhouse

The temperature was supposed to go to 15 degrees last night. I don’t know whether it did on not. When I went into the greenhouse this morning there was ice on the dirt in the individual pots. The rain barrel had a thick enough layer of ice that it did not crack when I rapped it with my knuckles. I had a little block heater going full blast; but somehow it just wasn’t enough.

I have another block heater; but I don’t think that is really the answer. I bought a 2 flat heating pad to go under the flats. I can put everything that needs to start this early in 2 flats. The greenhouse itself may freeze. The plants should be ok. I will just throw away the broccoli plants that had already sprouted. It only took them 6 days to sprout and the sprouts were only 3 days old so I did not lose too much.

Blums almanac says the 20th is the next good day for planting seed beds. The Blum’s almanac weather forecast is pretty close:. Should I trust them on the planting signs?



David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: