Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Brunswick Stew

Brunswick Stew

It is too rainy to play outside today; so I am staying inside and making a Brunswick stew. I actually started the stew 2 days ago. The first step was to soak some dried speckled lime beans. I use the small ones. I also started assembling the ingredients. It is good to use all of the vegetables you have available. The required ones are corn, tomatoes, okra and lima beans. You also need 3 different kinds of meat. At least one kind of meat needs to be cured. Game meats are especially good; but I did not have any this time.

Sunday, I started cooking the beans and added the vegetables in my big crock pot. The meats were all started in a smaller crock pot and allowed to cook for several hours. I make this in the office. Before going home I cut off both crock pots and just let them sit. This morning I pulled all of the meat off of the bones and added it to the big crock pot. I had too much stuff for the crock pot so I had to put some in the little crock pot.

After everything comes to a rolling boil corn meal is added to thicken the mixture. Ideally no one can recognize anything in the stew except the corn. I usually season the stew with whatever I have. The meat was cooked with whole sticks of rosemary. I pull them out when I remove the bones. This time I had oregano, garlic salt, chili powder, crushed red pepper, black pepper, salt and chicken bouillon. It also has a secret ingredient that is not necessary to having a good Brunswick stew. I just want mine to be better than yours.


David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: