Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Pruning the Fig Trees

Pruning the Fig Trees

The sun is out again today (Nov. 27). I am eating Brunswick stew from yesterday and thinking about my fig trees. Blum’s Almanac says that the 26th,27th and 28th of November are in the signs of Cancer. This is supposedly the time to prune for growth. All the leaves have fallen off of the fig trees so today (the 27th) should be a good time to prune them. I took a picture of the trees about a month ago when they were fully leaved and bearing figs.

All of next years figs will be on new growth. The trees produce so much growth that it is necessary to bend the branches down to pick the figs. This works fine with tender 1st year growth. The old wood won’t bend so easily. I will cut all of the vertical branches in the centers of the trees. Everything else will be trimmed off at the level of my eyes. I will post an after picture tomorrow along with a picture of the raised bed. I was having a problem downloading from my camera; but I got it fixed.




David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com/ , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: