Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Garden Planning Pt. 1

Garden Planning

My favorite part of gardening is planning next years garden. Not everything was perfect in this year’s garden; but next year’s garden (in my mind) is super fantastic. Everything is green, productive and weed free. The rows are straight, the paths are clean. WOW.

The tasks that I have lined up for soon are. Take down the old stakes and trellises from this years garden. Mulch the raised bed and plant some donated strawberry plants. Make a new garden map. I have some large sheets of graph paper for this. Layout the rows & beds for next year and test the soil. Plan the planting strategy to take advantage of the ph level in the different rows and the sunshine available.

Speaking of available sunshine…I have some trees and bushes that need to come down. I also have to prune the fig trees and get the green house ready to start the bedding plants. I will also make a schedule for starting the bedding plants and buy the seeds. Compost is a problem. Unless I find some more compostable material, I will not have enough compost for the garden.

David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: