Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Adapting to Climate Change

Adapting to Climate Change

We are having a drought in NC. Other than 1 or 2 spot waterings, last year is the first time I have really put a lot of water into my garden. The spring of last year was damp. The drought only came along in the summer. This year is really shaping up to be dry. I will be on the road a lot this year and I know my wife hates to face the mosquitoes to water the garden.

I am installing a “Rube Goldberg” irrigation system. I will lay out soaker hoses along the rows where low plants grow. I am putting sprinkler hose in the rows of tall plants. I know the leaves like some water too. The garden will be divided into 4 zones. Each zone will have a separate valve for the hoses there. Using a moisture tester will determine when a zone should be watered. All my wife will have to do is test the soil and turn on the appropriate valve as needed.

I will test the timing in the zones so that she will know how long to leave the water on to raise the moisture level by the right amount. Hopefully we will minimize the need for the water by heavy mulching. I have learned from the greenhouse that a large plant sucks a lot of water up and puts it into the air. Not having enough water stunts the growth of the plant.



David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: