Monday, April 28, 2008

Will There Be May Flowers

Will There Be May Flowers?

There have not been many April Showers. One zone of my “Rube Goldberg” irrigation system ran for an hour yesterday. Some spots in the garden still test above 6 on a scale of 1 to 10 on the moisture meter. Most of the garden is below 4. Tuesday I mulched almost everything with half finished compost. The potatoes of course just get un-mulched leaves. I added more to bring the mulch to the tops of the plants. It is almost a foot thick in some places now and needs to be done again.

I planted a dozen eggplants and a couple more peppers in the cage with the sweet peppers and the kohl crops. I am out of half finished compost and almost out of spots to plant anything. I still have lots of basil plants and a few Jalapeño peppers to go in the ground. I would like to plant some more beets. One never has enough compost or space it seems.

I started the “watermelon fence” yesterday. I don’t know if it will work. I put some 4” X 4” post in the ground sticking up about 2 feet. They are three feet from the edge of the watermelon hills, which are at the outer edge of the garden. I will lean some 4’ poles on the 4” X 4”s and cover them with 2” X 4” wire. The watermelon vines will be trained on the wire. The wire will be loose enough to sag under the weight of the watermelons and hold them in place. Hopefully they will be out of reach of the snails and sow bugs. I will post a picture.




David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: