Thursday, April 10, 2008

Separation Anxiety

Separation Anxiety

I am in S. Korea now and I must admit I miss my garden. This is a critical time of year to be away. Monday afternoon was spent in the greenhouse. Almost everything left in there was trying to climb out of its pot. I repotted everything that was too small to go in the dirt outside. The water from the rain barrels is almost gone. As the plants get bigger they really drink the water.

The potatoes were getting pretty leggy. I had piled up the dirt from around them as high as it would stay. I had to mulch them with leaves. A week or so ago, I built a rail of 2” X 6”’s along the sides of the potato row to hold the leaves back. Now I will pile leaves to keep only an inch or two of potato plant exposed until the leaves are mounded as high as they will go. Ideally the potatoes will think the leaves are loose soil and make really big potatoes in the dark. Please pray for my potatoes, even if they like the dark side.

The asparagus have made huge beautiful ferns. I wonder why I did not plant them in the flower beds out front. I think I will buy some more and use them in the flower beds. Perhaps I should rethink the entire garden in terms of the decorative value of some of the plants. We have been using vases full of blooming rosemary stems in the house. What else can be used this way?





David Segrest practices international real estate and writes an international real estate blog. Email is david@segrestrealty.com , Web page http://www.segrestrealty.com ,Blog http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/

No comments: