Friday, April 11, 2008

Food for More than Thought

Food for More than Thought.

I am in Seoul S. Korea; so I cannot tell what happened in the garden yesterday. I choose to talk about my breakfast. Everyone who comes to the USA from abroad asks, “ What happens to your food?” I believe the answer is agribusiness; but I have no first hand knowledge. The city of Seoul and its surrounds has 20,000,000 people. They are not fed from garden plots.

The food here is unbelievably tasty. This morning I had crispy cucumbers and patio tomatoes. The boiled eggs had strong deep yellow yolks. This food is as good as that from my garden. Well….almost.

Go to the street at the very early hours of the morning. It will be thronged with pickup motorcycles. (I don’t know how else to describe them). They are loaded with fresh eggs in flats and boxes of vegetables. A few years ago, I took the bullet train to a city in the south called Busan or Pusan. The landscape was crowded with cloche’s and rice patties. I wish I spoke the language well enough to learn their farming methods. Many Koreans speak very good English. I have not found a farmer from which I can learn. If I do you will be the first to know.





David Segrest practices international real estate and writes an international real estate blog. Email is david@segrestrealty.com , Web page http://www.segrestrealty.com/ ,Blog http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/

No comments: