Sunday, June 8, 2008

Back to the Garden (and the weeds)

Back to the Garden (and the weeds)

Despite the good food and warm hospitality of Bulgaria & Romania, I am glad to be home. I have been home a week. I have been home long enough that I am not even home anymore. I am in San Francisco. I did have time to mess around in the garden a little bit.

It took a full week to pull all of the weeds. I also pulled off the mustard and arugula. They have gone to seed. We are still eating kale. A little bit of squash and a little bit of zucchini comes in every day. The herbs are growing faster than we can eat them or give them away. The turnip greens are not really fit to eat; but the turnips are still growing so I have not pulled them off. The turnips are really a by-product of the greens to us; but last fall I planted some Tokyo cross hybrids. They were very good. There were a few volunteers this spring so we ate them.

My wife boiled them in salt water. She diced them and seasoned them with dill, ground pepper and butter. God they were delicious. The ones that are growing now are the purple top. We are hoping they will be as good as the Tokyo cross. I’ll let you know. I have also been pulling ivy and turning compost. The weeds have refilled the compost bin; but I am almost out of mulch.




David Segrest practices international real estate and writes an international real estate blog. Email is david@segrestrealty.com , Web page http://www.segrestrealty.com ,Blog http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/

No comments: