Wednesday, June 25, 2008

It Is Never Too Early to Prepare (part 1)

It Is Never Too Early to Prepare (part 1)

Yes, you guessed it. I am planning my fall garden, my next years garden and the plantings in the greenhouse. I have already planted a very small patch of Romaine lettuce. It started coming up yesterday (June 22). I want to change the direction of the rows next year, just to see how it affects production. The fall garden will hopefully still be producing when I lay out the rows for spring planting.

So, what do I plant for fall? Swiss Chard is at the top of the list. Turnips (Tokyo Cross Hybrid) and mustard are an annual event. Lettuce, Arugula and Mesclun mix are required. Radishes beets and carrots will be planted every two or three weeks all winter. I feel like I am leaving something important out. Any ideas?

I’m changing the whole layout of the greenhouse. There will be 3 shelves instead of 2 and they will have lights. The shelves and lights will be “modular” so I can move them as the plants grow. By planting time I will be back to 2 shelves. What will I do with the extra plants? The greenhouse will also have a 18” X 8’ raised bed; so I can plant right in the ground. My intention is 3 tomato plants, 2 cucumber vines and some basil. I will have lights on a timer to get the correct day length.

David Segrest practices international real estate and writes an international real estate blog. Email is david@segrestrealty.com , Web page http://www.segrestrealty.com ,Blog http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/

No comments: