Friday, June 20, 2008

English Ivy

English Ivy

I don’t know if English Ivy really originates in England or not. If it does it is a pretty good vengeance for the American Revolution. I had some trees cut down in my yard a few months ago and the tree people really tore my yard up with their bobcat. I did not really care; because I felt that it was time (after 23 years) to redo the landscaping.

I started out with my tiller. A third of the front yard is (was) English Ivy. The tiller got so tangled up, I had to send it to the shop to get it going again. Now, I pull some every day by hand. I have put mountains of the stuff on the street for the yard waste collection. I still have a long way to go. I do hope to try the tiller again next week. I have enough sense now to stop if it starts pulling a long strand.

I realize, I could just poison the stuff. I don’t want to do that. The roots would still be in the soil. I would have to work in the poison to pull the ivy, Waste from the yard goes in the compost pile and onto the vegetable garden. I may plant some vegetables in the flower beds next year. I don’t want to put the poison in the watershed. There are many reasons not to use the poison.

David Segrest practices international real estate and writes an international real estate blog. Email is david@segrestrealty.com , Web page http://www.segrestrealty.com ,Blog http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/

No comments: