Monday, June 23, 2008

Rain, Rain, Don't Go Away

Rain, Rain, Don’t go away

The rains have come back. Not with force; but at least to keep the ground wet. The garden appreciates it.

We have eaten 2 figs (whoopee). There is a squash on the spaghetti squash vine. The vine is 8 feet high. The chayote ( I hope I have spelled that right) is really taking off. Squash and zucchini are producing. I don’t know about the potatoes. Most of the vines are starting to look a little sad. 1 vine died. I dug it up and only found 2 very small potatoes. 1 of them was partially eaten by something. Maybe my idea of covering the vines 18’ deep in leaves was not so good.

The eggplants have little knobby eggplants on them, the tomatoes have big tomatoes; but they aren’t getting ripe yet. The Asparagus have huge ferns and the patty pan squash are almost ready to pick. The watermelons are half way up the watermelon fence. I believe the “watermelon plant” that has blossoms is a cantaloupe. I have lots of volunteer cucurbits this year. They all seem to be the running variety. I know that at least 1 is a cucumber; because I picked a cucumber from it. I can’t wait to see what the rest of them are. I also have some volunteer tomatoes. They are in the area where I planted marglobe last year. Marglobe is not a hybrid so they may be true tomatoes.

David Segrest practices international real estate and writes an international real estate blog. Email is david@segrestrealty.com , Web page http://www.segrestrealty.com ,Blog http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/

No comments: