Thursday, June 19, 2008

Small Strong Turnips

Small Strong Turnips

I pulled off all of the turnips yesterday. The bulbs were not very big; but the leaves were starting to look ratty. Most of the turnips were too small to fool around with so I just put them in the compost bin. The ones that had bulbs about an inch in diameter or more, I took inside. We cooked a few for supper last night. They were really strong. No more purple tops, strictly Tokyo Cross Hybrid turnips for the future.

The soil is drying out really fast. I guess it is because the plants are getting so large. I had to water yesterday. I think I will just water every day until it rains again. The watermelon vines have blossoms. I know that means they will really start sucking up water.

Weeds are really growing fast under the fig trees, despite the shade and the heavy mulch. I pulled them yesterday. I think I will try planting some oak leaf lettuce there. It would be wonderful to have lettuce, tomato and cucumber at the same time. I picked the second cucumber yesterday. There were only a few squash and one zucchini and 2 small broccoli heads. The Brussels sprouts have a few little buds on the stalks.




David Segrest practices international real estate and writes an international real estate blog. Email is david@segrestrealty.com , Web page http://www.segrestrealty.com ,Blog http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/

No comments: