Thursday, December 27, 2007

Greenhouse

Greenhouse

I got my greenhouse ready to use last week. It is not finished, just ready to use. I still had one wall to complete. That was the wall with the door. I bought a storm door; but I could not figure out how to install it. My son is coming home with the grandchildren this week so maybe he can figure it out. I did finish the rest of the wall; but I have not painted it. I used some expandable foam from a spray can to seal all of the cracks. This is the first time I have ever used that stuff. For those of you with experience you may think I have a little bit of “overfill”. I do.

The 24th and 25th, Christmas eve and Christmas day, the signs were right to plant seed beds and root crops according to Blums http://www.blumsalmanac.com/ . I looked at the seed packets and determined when to plant the different items. I planted cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and chives. I might should not admit this… I did plant 5 tomato plants. I intend to put them into larger containers and have early tomatoes. It might work.

In the garden I planted potatoes, onion sets and radishes. In our climate, especially with global warming, radishes and onions grow year round and with some arugula, spinach, and lettuce, which also grow year round we can have some winter salads from the garden for a special treat.



David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: