Friday, December 28, 2007

Progress on the Garden Plan

Progress on the Garden Plan

Yesterday and Wednesday I spent measuring the rest of the garden, testing the soil and deciding what to plant. I get so excited. I made a list of everything I had to do and more-or-less when it should be done. Then I went to the Blums Almanac: http://www.blumsalmanac.com/ and made a schedule that will co-ordinate the activities with the signs. Then I made a do list of dates and activities.

One thing I have discovered from this research… Good Friday is always supposed to be the correct time to plant everything. I don’t know if that is still true. All of the signs are wrong for Good Friday. Also Good Friday comes very early in the season again. Last year I planned for Good Friday planting. I set all of my bedding plants in the yard to “harden them off”. Then came freeze warnings. I had to take everything back inside and I could not plant on Good Friday except for seeds. The seeds did very well.

Last year was the first year to start my own plants. I did not really know what I was doing and I was late getting started. I labeled the flats instead of the seed cups. When I had to bring everything back inside in a hurry, I mixed up the varieties of cucurbits and tomatoes. The tomatoes did great. The cucurbits did not do well from plant. I wound up replanting from seeds. The plants from seeds did much better than the plants started in the greenhouse. This year I will not start any cucurbits in the greenhouse.



David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com/ , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: