Monday, December 31, 2007

Rain and Grandchildren

Rain and Grandchildren

The rain and my grandchildren have pretty much kept me out of the garden since last Thursday. I don’t really mind we really needed the rain; and grandchildren are as much fun as the garden. The rain is making the greens grow. We can have a big mess of them with our “Hoppin’ John” on New Years Day.

“Hoppin’ John” is a southern New Years tradition that is traced back to England (I think). The general idea was that the nobility would eat like poor people one day; so the poor people could eat like nobility. I doubt that the poor people of that era ever ate like nobility. The three requirements of “Hoppin’ John” as it has evolved are: 1) Pork for health, 2) Peas, for change and 3) greens for “greenbacks”.

One other big benefit of having the grandchildren is that my son came with them. He did not have a mechanical bypass. He is actually quite handy. He helped me put up the storm door for the greenhouse. (Really, he did it.) We did not have a drill bit that we needed so we could not mount the handle. I bought the drill bit; but it has rained too much since then.



David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: