Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Wet & Cold

Wet and Cold

Saturday was wet and cold. Sunday was just plain cold. I think last night was freezing. Saturday morning, I finished laying most of the garden. I raked where I had tilled earlier and put the material in the compost pile. I am finally back up to 3 bins of compost. Compost loses mass as it rots. Most of my compost is leaves and that loses mass quickly and decomposes slowly. Adding old vegetable stalks and roots and some dirt improves the quality of the compost as well as the volume.

I have to confess, I did put out some chemical fertilizer. If is a mitigating factor, I used Vigoro. The 15th and the 16th were the days Blum’s almanac http://www.blumsalmanac.com/ recommends for chemical fertilizer. Somehow it seems really strange to put out chemical fertilizer by the signs. I really hate to use the stuff; but what can I do if I don’t have any finished compost?

Sunday I cleaned up all the debris from the trees I cut last week. This stuff has to be “gift wrapped” if one wants the city to pick it up. I wonder if I should buy a chipper. I also had some construction debris. Windows had to be “X’ed” with masking tape. All the nails have to be bent flat. One has to make a “reservation” to get service.



David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: