Thursday, December 13, 2007

Strawberries, Blackberries and Grapes

Blackberries, Strawberries, Grapes

Yesterday I planted blackberries and strawberries and started putting up the arbor for the grapes. For the blackberries, I dug holes with the post hole diggers and filled them up with water. I don’t have any good compost yet so I had to uses store-bought cow manure to fill the holes before planting the blackberries. I had prepared the ground by tilling in rock phosphate and a little compost. These are blackberries that I dug up from pretty much the same place.

The strawberries were real easy. I separated the crowns and placed them equidistant in the bed. The ground was so soft that I just opened the whole with the trowel and set the strawberries in the hole and filled it. Strawberries and blackberries both need to be planted with the crown exactly the same level with the ground as they were before they were dug.

The grape arbor is not really a grape arbor. It is a fence. I am using some old fence post from a rail fence. The fence will be about 5’ high and the posts will be 8’ apart. There will be wire to hold the grapevines. The top 2’ will be of lattice for now to provide screening from the neighbors. As the vines grow I will be able to take the lattice down and let more light on the grapes.



David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: