Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Everything but Potatoes

Everything but Potatoes

Many of my friends are amazed that I have been planting stuff in my garden all winter. I have to tell you. As of yesterday, everything I have planted has come up except for the potatoes. The garlic hasn’t come up; but I just planted that last week. The temperature was projected to go down to 26 degrees Fahrenheit Sunday morning. I rushed around and covered everything up with straw. I waited until the bird bath thawed out and pulled the straw off. Not a thing was damaged. Last night a rabbit ate one of my little cabbage plants. That could happen any time.

The blueberries and paw-paw plants and vine peach seeds came in Thursday from Burgess Seeds. I planted them Saturday morning. They were a little disappointing. The blueberry plants were like the little pots of plants that are sold in Home Depot for less than $2. The paw-paws were little sticks with a vestigial root on them. I planted them in pots they were so small. I was afraid they would get lost in the yard. Vine peaches are a type of cantaloupe. They don’t disclose that in the catalog.

The strawberry slips that Michael and Winter Swol donated are really doing great. The blackberries have started to green up as well. Yeah Spring!!!




David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: