Monday, March 31, 2008

Planting Against the Signs

Planting Against the Signs

I am only confessing this so that it will be documented in the public record. I set out broccoli, Brussels sprouts and parsley yesterday. The signs are all wrong; but the day was gorgeous and the plants are getting too big for the greenhouse. I also put up the tomato fence. I will plant tomatoes today or tomorrow. I am also going to plant watermelon, winter squash and cantaloupe seeds. My travel schedule, beginning Thursday, is going to be very intense until the middle of June. It is really now or never.

The potatoes are finally coming up. The first ones are big enough to need mulching as soon as it rains. I don’t want to mulch dry ground. I had to water the plants that have come up last night. I went out and looked this morning. The plants really appreciated that little bit of moisture. No rain is called for until the weekend. My rain barrels are almost empty. I may have to start using tap water in the greenhouse.

The figs and the grapes (except for one) have real leaves. All but two of the blueberries seem to be doing well. The paw-paws have not leafed or budded or anything. I bought the paw-paws and and the blueberries from Burgess Nursery. I doubt seriously if I will buy anything else from them. The paw-paws had less than an inch of root and looked as if they were already dead. They may have been. I had lunch with my friend Rusty Dixon yesterday. She said that the seed potatoes she got from Burgess were rotten.


David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: