Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My Decision

My Decision

The last ending was Good Friday is coming. “To plant, or not to plant? That is the question. This is the answer. I planted cucumber and summer squash and zucchini. I used some of the compost that is not quite finished. Last week when I turned it, it had lots of little squiggly earthworms. This week it had loads of big fat earthworms. They grow fast.

For the cucumbers, I put up a fence of plastic 2” X 4” wire 28’ long. I made a deep furrow down one side of the fence. The soil tested 6.5 to 6.8 ph. Cucumber’s soil should be 6.0 to 6.5. I put a thin line of sulphur in the furrow and then filled it with compost (and earthworms). After covering the furrow with dirt I planted the cucumber seeds about ¾” deep and about 6”s apart.

I planted 6 hills of summer squash (yellow crookneck) and 5 hills of Zucchini. The hills were spaced on 3’ centers. To make each hill, I dug a 6” hole with the posthole diggers. I filled the hole and made a pile of compost about 6” high on top of it. I scraped up the loose soil around this and the plug from the posthole to make a hill about 18” in diameter and 10” high. I poked three holes in the face of each hill just like those in a bowling ball. I put 3 seeds in each hole, filled them with loose dirt and patted them down.

Incidentally, the garlic has come up. The fig trees are putting out leaves. The radishes in the new raised bed are up. I also planted a thyme plant in the new raised bed. Spring is so wonderful. Happy Easter.


David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: