Monday, March 3, 2008

Happy Sadie Hawkins Day (maybe)

Happy Sadie Hawkins Day (maybe)

I don’t want to get into the controversy of Feb 29 and November dates for Sadie Hawkins day. I celebrate both. I have not written to this blog for a couple weeks so I have a lot to update.

The spinach and greens have come up. The spinach even has true leaves. The onions are about 6” to 8” tall. The 27th and 28th were the days to plant root crops and prune for growth. I planted more radish, carrots and onion sets. I also planted some garlic. I also pruned the new grapevines. I threw the pieces that I cut off of the grapevines into a bucket of water to soak. Next week I will coat the end of them with rooting hormone and stick them in some rockwool.

Speaking of rockwool. The plants that were started in rockwool have been the poorest performers of all the seedlings. Every single marigold died. Some of the seeds did not germinate. None of them are doing really well. Maybe I don’t know how to use rockwool. The jiffy pellets and paper cups did much better. The paper cups did best. They are also the cheapest. I will use them from now on and just use the rockwool that I have left for cloning.

I cut the biggest of the mulberry trees down on the 27th. It was so tall we could not pick the mulberries. I am hoping it will sprout. At any rate, I can take cuttings from the other mulberry tree before I cut it down.




David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: