Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Finally Potatoes

Finally Potatoes

At last the potatoes are popping through the ground. I was beginning to wonder if a mole or a gopher had gotten the eyes. The asparagus are growing so fast it is a wonder. I guess some people are cutting them to eat. This is the first year for mine so I am only watching them grow. I planted them in a trench and I am piling compost around them as they grow to make a deeper root system.

I am lining the potato bed with old 2” X 6”’s so I will be able to pile a lot of mulch around the plants as they grow. It is so much easier to grapple potatoes from leaves than from dirt.

The new grapevine’s buds have swollen up and are turning purple. They look like flowers; but I think they will be leaves. The grass is going to need cutting soon; and the spinach will need to be eaten. I’m ready. All the new things in the greenhouse are sprouting. I can’t wait to get my summer seeds in the ground. Good Friday (next weekend) is the traditional day here. It comes so early this year and the signs are all wrong. I will probably wait until April 5th.


David Segrest is an International REALTOR in Charlotte, NC. His email is david@segrestrealty.com , His webpage is http://www.segrestrealty.com , and his international real estate blog is http://dointernationalrealestate.blogspot.com/.

No comments: